|Deviant Login||Shop||Join deviantART for FREE||Take the Tour|
Dos and Donts of CosplayingDOs
Do cosplay characters you relate to and/or enjoy.
Do study the character's mannerisms-pay close attention to how the character carries himself/herself.
Do have at least 3 different poses. This is where the studying comes in. Find poses that you feel expresses the character best.
Do try to bring the character to life. You never know-you might make someone's day.
Do try to have a reference image of every angle. If this isn't possible (like in the case of an artbook image), use your better judgement of the other angles. Add your own flare to the costume, but keep it as close to character as you can.
Do accept constructive critizism. You have to realize that there is always room for improvement, even in those who have been costuming for years. Besides, some cosplayers out there
Do have fun!
Do save the drama for the stage. Please.
Don't cosplay for the sake of entering contests and winning. Cosplay is suppose to be a fun hobby for everyone, not a competition.
How to form a Cosplay GroupHow to form a Cosplay Group
1. Think of a name: something catchy and easy to remember
2. Make an official site: such as a Youtube or a deviantart to post your photography pictures or facebook page so it's easy to interact with others
3. Publicity: Film skits, do photoshoots or even try public skits
4. Go to conventions! Meet other cosplayers, make some friends, ask questions, get feedback etc.
- Treat all members fairly
- Don't act like character all the time, Please don't attack people with your "Ninja moves" while cosplaying as Naruto or you might end up injuring yourself or another person
- Don't assume the role of leader
- Have a good photographer for those awesome shots that people are going to pick out from dozens of other pictures
- Try not to steal other ideas
- Don't hog the spotlight when performing skits/dances/taking photos. You are a group! That means you are not the only one there.
Theatrics and Movements for CosplayersTheatrics & Movements for Cosplayers
By Trevor O'Gorman
When trying to think of how your going to move, how your going to talk and act you need to scale yourelf on a SCALE OF EMOTION from 1-20 (1 being NEUTRAL & 20 being ULTRA)
2. Character Development
When your in cosplay you need to eat, sleep and breath that character!
- How does the character approach the Scale of Emotion?
- Did they mature throughout the series or did they stay the same?
- How would this character interact with the audience or the public in general?
3. Dance Combo Time
- Know your routine & all the different movements, what they have to look like!
- Learn your:
POINTS = hands point straight in directions required
HITS = quick, solid movements with your arms/legs or body
HOLDS = your ready stances to make the transition into the (next) set of moves for routine
4. Performance Technique
- STAY IN CHARACTER! Once
Helpful AdvicePieces of advice that have helped me in many cases
1. People often compound their difficulties & Increase tension
By worrying about all their problems at once
When you find yourself trapped in this cage
Pick your most critical problem
Give it all your thought & Do something about it
When you have solved
Atleast done everything you can about it
Pick another problem & Go work on it
This is the practical way out
Just do the best you can
So do it & Don't worry
Take up each problem as you get to it
As Casey Stengal used to tell his baseball players
When they began to tighten up in the homestretch:
"We play 'em one at a time"
Not hard work
Instead of doing
Is what drains the energy out of most people
And it doesn't get anybody anywhere
2. You don't have to be brilliant to be a great leader But you do have to understand other people, How they feel, What makes them tick and the best way to influence them
Keep in Touch!
^Nyx-Valentine arrived in our community and started whipping everyone into a frenzy with her relentless desire to bring the Artistic Nude and Fetish galleries to the fore. 9 years later, and it's safe to say that Nyx is not only a leader as a photographer in these galleries, but she has also established herself as a much saught after model. ^... Read More